Monday, December 22, 2008

No meat in this Delhi















Well, devoted readers, it is almost Christmas and 2009, and I find myself safe and sound in New Delhi, India.

The long trip from Cape Town, via Germany, was actually not that bad. Andrea and I got to the Cape Town airport quite early, and saw each other off. Unfortunatly, we heard that there was a major incident on the N2, a key freeway in Cape Town. A pedestrian was hit, and the freeway was closed. We were ahead of this horrible accident, but the entire crew of our Lufthansa flight was behind it! We heard from them later that they were 3 hours in traffic.

Our flight left 2 hours late, but that was just more appies and cocktails in the SA Lounge for me. The flight itself was wonderful, as usual, and I got lots of sleep in the LH Private Bed.

I had a fairly long transfer in Frankfurt, so no rush making the connection. Especially considering the plane was still in maintenance. Another 2 hour late flight, but at least we landed in Delhi before the major fog moved in.

I had a rather creepy cab ride thru Delhi at 4 in the morning. There is a huge park just before the neighbourhood I am staying in, but I did not know that. I am in urban India, and wondering why there are no buildings. Am I way outside town, and about to be taken for all my money????

Well, the driver was really nice, so my worries were completely misplaced. "How much longer before we get to our hotel?" I nervously asked. "Only about another couple of minutes, sir". Seconds later, we emerge from the huge park, round a big traffic circle, and plunge into the crowded neighbourhood. I feel like a bit of a smuck - stop worrying so much.

Check into an OK hotel, and sleep well into the next day.

I walk around a very crowded and crazy neighbourhood, Karol Bahg, the next day. Decide on a quick hair raising tour throught the local neighbourhood on a motorized rickshaw late that afternoon. Cairo is no longer the crazy traffic champ for me, Delhi has now taken top honours - absolutely nuts, but fun. I just relax and laugh, figuring my relaxation will soften the impact with another vehicle. Pedestrians, bicycle rickshaws, motorized rickshaws, push carts, cars, trucks - tightly packed and weaving like crazy. They are really good drivers, did not see one collision - but boy, it was crazy!















Next day, one westerner and I are having breakfast amongst many Indian tourists in the breakfast room. I ask if I can join her, and sure enough, she turns out to be on the GAP tour with me. An Aussie, named Jeannine (Andrea, you are so easy to replaced!)...... just kidding.

Anyway, I end up joining her for a full day city tour. Once again, we are the only Westerners on the tour - lots of Indians on holidays. But it works out well, with the guide giving us English commentary as well.

Like I have heard, things here are absurdly cheap. Breakfast chocks in at $1.20, I spent $1.60 on lunch yesterday, and I ordered room service last night which came to $8.00, but only because the delivery boy went out and got me 2 large Kingfisher beers! The full day city tour cost a whole $7. This is a nice relief after going through so much money in Europe. Oh, by the way, the title of this blog makes refernence to the fact that I am going veggie for this part of the trip, on the wise advice of my dear sister.

I am in an internet cafe in Connaught Place in New Delhi now, trying to catch up on picture uploading. I have switched chips in my camera, so it may not get caught up until I get home.

We meet our group tonight at 5:00, have some kind of tour around Delhi tomorrow morning, then it is off on a 20 hour overnight train ride on the world's biggest rail system tomorrow afternoon. Don't worry, we have berths, so should not be too bad. I am truly looking forward to yet another adventure.

It is sunny and comfortable in Delhi now, and luckily I got in before the thick fog you may have heard about. I am guessing that may have delayed some of the other GAP travellers. But the weather is nice now, so we should all get going tomorrow. The fog/smog did make for a nice sunset, pictured below, at the resting place of Mahatma Ghandi.

I have a feeling internet cafes are going to be difficult to get to, and that we are going to be fairly busy in the next couple of weeks, so please do not worry if you don't hear from me for awhile (right, Laurie).

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas season, while I am over here ignoring it! Enjoy the snow, as I will enjoy the warmth of India.

Namaste.

No comments: