Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Big Apple

As I said in my previous post, arrived in Manhatten by bus from GNI. I was given general directions to the subway, found it quickly, and decided to buy an unlimited 7 day pass, even though I am only here for four days.
It was the Labor Day weekend (American spelling), and I did not have a reservation. People were paying hundred for hotels in New Jersey, and here was I on a budget trying to stay in Manhatten!
Subway was a breeze, and I got off in Chelsea. Found the Chelsea International Hostel that Hubertus told me about, and was told to come back at 2:00 to see if rooms were available. They mentioned that there might be private rooms for $80 a night, and I decided then that I wanted my first stay at a hostel to be private (there goes the budget).
Headed over to 7th Avenue, and found a nice Indian buffet for lunch. So nice after the bland food at GNI.
Headed back to the hostel, and waited in line, hoping to get a room. Turns out that there were no private rooms, so my first hostel was to be shared. Oh well, better get used to that.















Checked in, unpacked some of my stuff. Decided the best approach was to leave the unvaluable stuff (i.e., sleeping bad) in the pack under the bunkbed. I put the semi-valuable stuff (i.e., my prescriptions and paperwork) in the locker, and used the lock and key I had packed. Also decided to keep the really valuables (passport, ticket, cards and money) on me at all times in my shoulder bag. So far, this seems to be working well.
Headed out into the big city with only my sense of direction, did not even have a map. I adopted a "New York attitude", and within hours people were asking me for directions (they seemed surprised when I said I had no clue).
I walked and wandered the neighbourhoods (Canadian spelling), and just generally got a feel for the place. Heard that the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) was free on Friday afternoons, so headed uptown to Midtown Manhatten. Well, apparently so did every other tourist in New York - the line stretched for blocks, so gave up on that one.
Good thing for the unlimited subway pass, so hopped on, and headed back downtown.
Turned out I was on the wrong line (so much for New York attitude), so I overshot my stop on an Express Train. No problem, ended up close to Greenwich Village, so got off there, and looked for Chistopher Street (New York's Castro).
Was soon imbibing with the boys at a fun bar (has anyone else noticed this seems to be a drinking trip?). Met a very cute African-American guy named Neil, and we were astonished when we discovered that not only were we both Geminis, but we shared the same birthday - June 2. Cue weird music.......
Slept fairly well in the bunkroom with five other guys. It was fairly quiet, we have air-conditioning, and a bathroom for our room.
*Sidenote* have not mentioned the weather for NY, or GNI. Sunny every day, but not too hot - perfect!
Anyway, have explored the city more, took the subway over to Brooklyn, and walked back across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhatten - what a view.
















Am going to head out today for more exploring. Will likely see the other Neil again (we also hung out yesterday), and likely back to the Village tonight.
I want to thank a really special guy for suggesting I stop in New York. I just love it here, the people, the diversity, the restaurants, the shops, the non-stop buzz of the city.
It is off to Frankfurt tomorrow on Lufthansa Business Class, with a discount connection to Copenhagen the next day.
I know it has been a while since the last post, but this will likely be the pattern. Probably about 7 - 10 days between the postings. I am doing this in the hostel computer room today, and I have been logged on 140 minutes to update my blog, and download tons of photos to my Flickr account. I am multi-tasking both at once, and according to the meter, this is only going to cost about $14.
More later from Europe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Did anyone notice this was a drinking trip? Well, duh!

New York is a fabulous town. I loved Greenwich village. Chelsea was a bit too Abercrombie and Fitch for me.

It's such fun to get your updates. I have a Facebook buddy in Copenhagen, Marc Shepherd. He knew Dwayne so you maybe know him too. Maybe you two can connect?