Monday, March 16, 2009

A Change of Plans

Travelling for such a long trip is the greatest adventure of my life, so far. I have experienced more things in the last half year than most people do in a lifetime. I truly believe a person must be careful, there are lots of people out there trying to scam you. Several have been sucessful with me so far, but on a very minor scale.

On the other hand, sometimes you must take a leap of faith, or risk missing out on something unique and truly amazing.

With that in mind, I must tell you that I have met a local young man, Davit, who has made me rethink my plans to immeadiately return to Thailand. He seems to absolutely adore me, and yes, I know what it probably looks like, but it is definitely not that kind of situation!

I have a unique opportunity to travel through this country with someone who has lived here all his life, and speaks the language, and understands the culture. Already, he has taken Ann and myself to local bars and restaurants where there is not a single tourist.















Me, Ann and Davit doing Cambodian BBQ with the locals

So, I bid farewell to the GAP group the other night at FCC before they headed back to Bangkok. I am to remain here for two weeks, staying in Siem Reap for the first week, then we head by bus to Phnom Penh, then down to Sihanoukville, a place that rivals Thai beaches, but is much more untouched.

We are going to not one, but two local Cambodian weddings, and already I have had some unique locals experiences.

Today, for lunch, we went to a Cambodian place outside the city, where you sit up on thatched platforms eating on bamboo mats. After lunch, you can lounge in the hammocks in the platforms. We started with spicy clams in the shell, and moved on to an entire roasted chicken, with rice and a platter of vegetables. When a lovely dish arrived with green beans and meat, I asked if it were beef. No, Davit explained, that is the heart of the chicken. Yes, Cambodians eat everything, and cannot understand why we turn up our noses at things that can sustain you.

I did take a little nibble of the chicken heart, but fortunately, the dish was far too spicy to eat (well, I did eat some of the beans).














And for those of you worried about my safety, you will be glad to know that Davit has borrowed his brother's car, a huge Toyota SUV. We have been travelling around on a motorcycle, sans helmets, but that has now stopped.

No comments: