Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Papaya in Pattaya














After years of mispronouncing Pattaya, I now find that it does not sound like papaya. It is patty-ah. First thing to correct.

It is a very busy and developed area, not at all relaxing. Someone told me there are 500,000 accomodation beds in the area. And yes, it truly is sin city, with girls and beer bars and sex shows everywhere.














There are also three main gay areas, Boyz Town, Jomtien Beach and Sunee Plaza. I am staying near Sunee Plaza, and take the Baht Bus to Jomtien everyday (only 30 cents).

The beach itself has tons of beach chairs, where you can get food and drinks. The crowd is lots of fun, and people watching is great.

Surprisingly, the water is quite pretty, a nice shade of aqua, though not crystal clear, but a bit murky. Still, with my trusty swim goggles I can start to get back into shape, as the water is also quite calm for swimming.

The nightlife is crazy here, and I am being quite conservative. That being said, and checking out a place with a boys underwater show in a giant aquarium tonight. Should be fun.

Not sure how long I will last here, will likely look for a quieter beach soon. Some of the possibilities are Ko Samet, Ko Chaing, Ko Samui or Phuket.

As I am just beaching it, not much to report, so don't worry if there are not too many posts in the next month. I will try to post something at least once a week so you know I am doing OK.

No comments: