Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Return to Phuket














Well after many years, I find myself back in Phuket, Thailand. Robert, Laurie, Glenn and I came here on our first big international trip back in 1991. It is so true that you can never go back; what was once an unspoiled low key paradise has become a huge shopping mall by the sea. The one plus is that the gay scene here is probably the best in Thailand - so much fun!

I had a fairly tiring trip from Koh Samui. First a minibus took me to the ferry terminal. Then a really ugly old bus (see my flickr pictures) took us to the ferry, then off again on the mainland, and on to Surat Thani. There I had to wait two hours until a very cramped minibus took me to Patong Beach in Phuket.

I had made reservations on the internet at Aquarius Guesthouse, and found it fairly quickly. Although I have a "budget" room, it is very nice, with A/C, TV, mini fridge and queen sized bed. The price includes a huge breakfast by the pool every morning, and I have free access to the attached sauna.


















I am in the heart of Phuket's extensive gay area, and there are lots of fun places to go out after the beach. Last night, a bunch of us hit the clubs after a wonderful dinner, and saw two hilarious shows. People are out dancing and drinking on the street, which has virtually no traffic, it is a huge and fun party.

After 8 1/2 months of travel, I have finally bumped into someone I know. I was walking by the gym in Aquarius my first day here, and who do I see but David Sanders from Hawaii.

I think I will be staying in Phuket right up to my Singapore flight on May 10. I have already seen lots of Malaysia and Singapore, so will just enjoy myself here. I think I can get a cheap flight on Air Asia the day of my flight to Melbourne. I will get in early, and hang around in the Singapore Airlines lounge until my 9 PM flight.

1 comment:

catmom said...

Would love to return to Thailand, but I don't think Phuket would be on the list. How is it looking after the tsunami? And for the record, we were in SE Asia in 1990 ... a long, long time ago! Enjoy the sun and sand!

Hugs,
L & T