Monday, October 31, 2011

Sunday in Quito














Awoke refreshed, energized and ready to explore a new city. The sun was shining, but at 9,300 feet in altitude, it was not hot, just warm and comfortable. Down to a pleasant little dining area for my free breakfast. It was very nice, fresh fruit, juice, coffee with milk, fresh buns, and eggs made to order by a lovely lady serving us.














Checked with the front desk guy, who was very helpful and friendly. Safe to walk around during the day, and evenings until about midnight. OK, great, but I will be careful, but can relax a little bit. Started, as I always do, by walking around, and just exploring. As I said in my previous post, I am in the heart of the Mariscal area (New Town). It is very trendy and nice, lots of bars, clubs and restaurants in the area, but as today is Sunday, dead quiet. Another nice thing about Sundays is that many streets are blocked off from cars, and the people of Quito take to the streets on their bicycles - great! Made my way to a big park, which had more bicycles, lots of paintings and handicrafts for sale, and was chock-a-block full of Quitenos families enjoying themselves. Bumped into a couple from Calgary I met in the airport, and briefly compared notes.


























After a very brief siesta, I headed by taxi over to El Centro Historico, Old Quito, a UNESCO World Heritage Sight. First impressions - it is huge! I was expecting about 10 square blocks, but I would estimate it is more like 20 X 30 blocks. It is superbly done, only old buildings, some old, some paritally restored, but most restored and painted to their former glory in the 16th century. The scale and beauty of it is overwhelming - it is so well done. Cannot believe in Vancouver that heritage preservation is chopping the front 6 feet off the front of an old building, and attaching it to a 30 story building we allow the developer to build (stop ranting, Neil, you are on vacation!).

I will just let the pictures speak for themselves.






















Oh yes, I am at 9,300 feet, and as you can see, Old Quito is very hilly and steep. I walked for miles, up and down steep hills, exploring every nook and cranny. I did not have quite the stamina I have at home, and was a little more out of breath, but certainly not a problem at all. Must be the yoga.

No comments: