Monday, January 5, 2009

Jaipur, the Pink City














We went from blue to pink. Jaipur was painted pink, the colour of hospitality, when visited by a famous Prince years ago. The old city is walled within the new city, and all buildings are pink by decree.

The city itself is very crowded and crazy, and a few of us are OD'ing on India already (not me). We did manage to do a city tour, which got us out into the countryside to see some interesting sites. Unfortunately, my camera battery died in the middle of the tour.

One of the more interesting aspects of the tour was a visit to an observatory/astronomical complex that was built in the 1700's. The first thing that struck you was how modern it looked, and that everything was symetrical. It contained the world's largest sundial, towering some 90 feet high.

We checked out another palace in the middle of a lake, and did a couple of more forts. What I found was the most amazing was that the series of forts was connected by what looked like a version of the Great Wall of China. I had no idea there were similar stuctures elsewhere in the world. It was not as big, of course, and as I said my camera battery......














We did a little shopping for some special clothes that will be in my next blog, stay tuned.



No comments: