Friday, January 23, 2009

Puri, India














We travelled south by overnight sleeper train, arriving at Puri station early in the morning. We were greeted by an even more tropical landscape, typical rice paddies, coconut palms and bananas.

Puri is much smaller, so we were soon enjoying being whisked to our very nice garden hotel in cycle rickshaws. We arrived, cleaned up after our overnight train, and had a quiet breakfast in the flower garden - heaven after Calcutta. Don't get me wrong, I love the city, but after a while the dirt, noise, fumes and people really get to you.

We were off to a peaceful Ashram by cycle rickshaw again, then on to a lake temple which we could not get into as we were not Hindu.

We also saw another huge temple in the middle of the bustling town, and hit the local market.
















After a wonderful lunch, we headed out in India's newest auto rickshaw (it was gleaming) for an hour drive to Konark, a magnificent temple that some say equals the Taj Mahal.

It is in the shape of 7 rearing horses (I could not see that) and was being pulled on 24 huge chariot wheels (can't miss that one!). Very beautiful, in a lovely garden setting. As nice as the Taj...... no. But amazing, none the less.















Next blog will be one of the nicest couple of days I have ever spent...... stay tuned.

2 comments:

genegenie68 said...

I've been wondering where in the world you were! Glad you were finally able to get to a computer so that I can now revisit West Bengal and Orissa vicariously. :) Is your next blog about Chilika Lake? That's my guess. I so wish I could be back there right now. India really got under my skin. Can't wait to hear more from you. Take care.

catmom said...

Like Andrea, I am glad to hear from Neil - it seems like it has been a while. I'm sure Kolkata was crazy, and yes, after a few days in those cities, you have had enough. But the flower markets sounds fabulous - would love to see that.

Now ... Neil's next adventure ... hmmmm - I'm not sure about Chilika Lake but there are dolphins there. Neil usually gets more excited about BEACHES! But as usual, we'll stay tuned. Have fun brother dear!

Namaste, L & G
OXOX