Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Garden of Earthly Delights














Thai Airways from Mumbai to Bangkok was practically empty - an Airbus A330 that could hold 260 people with 70 pax on board. Business Class, in a 2-2-2 configuration, had 42 seats - 8 occupied. I had second row centre pair, with an empty seat beside me, and both seats in front and behind also not occupied.

I endulged in Rack of Lamb with a red Bordeaux, and guess what.... after 2 months in India with not the slightest stomach problem, my tummy in now protesting in Bangkok. That smug sound you hear in the distance is my sister - I told you to go vegetarian she said!

Anyway, arrive at the huge new (relatively) Bangkok Airport, to what now appeared to be fairly well organized chaos, after the true chaos of India. I had chickened out, and sure enough, my private limo driver was there with my name on a sign. *Uhmm, Neil, you are supposed to be a budget traveller....*. Into a very comfortable air conditioned Lexus, and off we go on a multi laned expressway, with not a tuk-tuk, motorcycle, cow, stray dog or pedestrian in site. Really, Bangkok does seem First World after India.

Get to Babylon Bangkok, and they are quite candid with me - the "Barracks" room I was supposed to be staying in had some bed bug problems. Barracks rooms are beautiful, with two beds and luxurious shared bathrooms - sauna style. Instead, I would have a portion of a villa, not yet fully furnished. My room was huge, containing a king and full sized bed, plus gigantic private bath, finished in earth-toned marble and slate, with a shower big enough for three people. Hmmm, this would do.














So, what can I say about Babylon? It is an oasis of calm in the middle of bustling Bangkok. There are villas and a six story building. The reception and its bar are open air, with fans cooling it day and night, as even the evenings are hot in Bangkok. You can also get some wonderful food in every bar there.

I had paid about $55 per night for my room, seemingly expensive for Thailand. But this includes a gourmet breakfast in a beautiful 6th floor lounge with a view of the Bangkok skyline. Also included are 2 passes each day to the Babylon Spa and Sauna.

The Sauna is the usual gay style type, everyone wearing towels wandering around. Only in this case there are hundreds of guys. And where are they wandering around...? Three floors of rooms and mazes, countless showers, dry saunas, wet saunas, jacuzzis, video rooms, massage rooms and places to get your hair cuts.

Also attached is a huge outdoor pool with sun beds and open bar. Next to that, you can leave your towel on (everyone does) and eat in a gourmet restaurant (yesterday - duck sausage on a bed of al-dente bow tie pasta with apples and mushrooms). There is also another open air bar with stage, where they played soft jazz in the early evening, and put on an over the top drag show later on.

I have never worn a towel for 12 hours before, and felt so civilized... OK maybe a little sleazy. It is truly a fantasy world for gay men.

I think I will stay here a few days when I get back from my Indochina Encompassed tour, then perhaps head down to Pattaya.

>

1 comment:

catmom said...

Clearly I need to add to Neil's comment about his tummy upset ... all I can say my dear brother is KARMA ... eat an innocent little baby animal, and the universe will deliver its verdict!!! Tee-hee!

Enjoy your next journey!

LL
OX