Saturday, February 28, 2009

A New Country to check off the list














Just a quick update to let you all know I have arrived in yet another new country - Vietnam. We flew from Vientiane to Hanoi yesterday, and are settled into a city most people do not associate with vacation travel.

Hanoi is an interesting city, steeped in history, with fascinating architecture, and crazy traffic. I call it India Lite. We went to Ho Chi Mihn's tomb today, rather somber and creepy, but a must on the travel list for this city.















We also have toured around the old quarter getting completely lost. When I tried to walk back to the hotel this afternoon, I got close, then completely twisted around, and ended up right back where I started. It was then that I realized that this trip is affecting me, when one of the motorcycle cabs said "where to?", I showed him my hotel card and asked for a price. I hopped on the back and off we went weaving and twisting through some of the craziest traffic you have ever seen. Death wish, I don't think so, just realized it was not as dangerous as it appeared, and I must admit, a lot of fun.

Some people are leaving this phase of the tour, and others are joining us. The GAP trip "Indochina Encompassed" is actually three trips linked together.

We are off to beautiful Halong Bay tomorrow and we sleep under the stars (or in a cabin) in our boat tomorrow night. More updates when I am back in town.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your travels. My partner, Bill, is on the tour with you, so it's a real treat to be able follow you around the globe. Your writing and photos are a treasure. Thanks again. Olivia