Monday, February 16, 2009

One Night in Bangkok

Well, I left the calm of Babylon, and headed across town to the starting hotel for my next GAP journey - the Royal. It wasn't too bad, good location, quite large, an OK pool and nice restaurants. There were 3 different GAP groups meeting on Monday night, plus 2 other tours, minor bedlam inhe lobby.

Our group of 15 met with our tour leader, Erin, a nice young 29 year old from the U.S. There was the usual majority of Canadians, with a couple of Americans, 2 Brits now living in Australia, and another Brit with her crazy Irish husband (who is my new drinking buddy) - so we all spoke English well, in one form or another.

Erin took us around the corner for dinner, to an area I had not discovered on my walk the day before - Khao San Road. It is a backpackers area just hopping with action. Restaurants, bars, street food, shops, stalls, massage you name it, it is all there. Especially in the evening, it is packed with people. After a great dinner with the new group, I hung out there for an hour just taking in the atmosphere.














The next morning, we were up fairly early for complimentary breakfast at the hotel. It was a huge spread, which is also going to be the description of me if I don't stop eating so much! Then we were off to a one hour trip on a long boat along the Chao Phraya River, and up the many canals in the city. Life along the canals is fascinating.

After we came ashore, we took a short walk to the huge Wat Pho temple complex. The Thai style is so different after India, so I am not on temple overload again (yet). We went into the two largest temples, including the giant reclining Buddha. It is so huge, you can only get shots of sections of him. I think I got a real nice one, if you want to check my flickr page.


















Tonight we are taking the overnight train to Chaing Mai. It sounds like a few steps up from my Indian train experience. It is air-conditioned, and Erin says they make up your bed for you - and only stacked in 2's, not 3's.

More from Northern Thailand soon.

Oh, by the way, the heat here is so intense. I keep imagining who would hate it more - Robert or Dwayne. They could have a contest to see who could create the biggest puddle of sweat! Miss both of you guys lots.

No comments: