Saturday, October 25, 2008

I am a Doughnut














Yes, those are the famous words uttered years ago in this famous city by John F. Kennedy. I think if you leave out the ein, it translates as "I am a Berliner", unfortunately he left it in and told everyone here he was a doughnut. Don't believe me, look it up. I first heard this from a very funny comedian Eddy Izzard.

Anyway, a huge sense of history here, although most of the old building were bombed to bits during WW II. It is a history you can feel, rather than see. It is a history that people still talk about. And, it is a history that is constantly explained at sites all over the city.

The Brandenburg gate is fabulous, and truly a symbol of a united Berlin and Germany. It is so hard to believe that the wall went up and came down in my lifetime. There is almost no trace of it left, except one section with a huge exhibition around it. Chunks of it have been sold off three times over according to our guide, so you are probably buying a worthless piece of concrete. Yes, I did take one of those hop on, hop off city tours, and it was a good idea. The exhibition around the wall was very moving, I got choked up a couple of times. It tells the story of the rise of Hitler, and the atrocities committed. Reading it was quite upsetting, but we must never forget. Particularly poinient was the explanation of the triangle symbols worn by people in the concentration camps - including pink for homosexuals. I was glad to see so many other people reading about all this, especially young people.














Craige would be so proud of me; I got a old East German visa stamped in my real passport. I was told this would not cause any problems - we shall see.

Wondered around the city for a day and a half after the bus tours, covering many of the same sights on foot. Man, I must have legs of steel now. As you can see by my photos, it was beautiful sunny fall weather, clear, crisp and about 12 degrees. And yes, I do have just enough clothes to keep warm in that temperature.

The wonderful thing about wandering is you bump into the unexpected. There was a wonderful German wine exhibit by the huge railway station. Sort of "wine for the senses" kind of exhibit, with a free glass of really good wine at the end. And if you wanted some more, it was only 1 euro per glass - could I resist!














I must mention another discovery I have made on this trip - well two I guess. First is that I am not a true budget backpacker traveller. I look the part, but really do not like dorm beds. I also like to eat at least one decent meal a day, not street food all the time. But I have discovered a great alternative for accomodations - EBAB. It is a gay B&B service where you can stay in someone's home in a guestroom, sometimes shared bath, sometimes private. You also are allowed to use the host's kitchen and fridge, to that also saves money. I really like it because you kind of feel like a local, staying in a real neighbourhood, and doing some grocery shopping.

I used EBAB in Hungary (remember my crazy arrival story) for 25 euros an night, and here in Berlin for only 20 euros. My room in Berlin was even nicer than the one in Budapest, and the bathroom and kitchen were immaculate. Those of my gay readers who are not too hung up on privacy might like to try it - a great alternative to expensive hotels (or cheap dorm beds which typically cost almost as much).

I went to a travel agency a few days ago, saying I wanted to do something interesting, and gave him carte blanche to come up with anything. A tour of Germany, a tour of Eastern Europe, a sun destination, or even something really off beat. And what did he find - nothing! His excuse was it is a German holiday and everything was very expensive.

Well, I got on my favourite travel website - Kayak and stumbled across a couple of good cheap flights. I'll let you know where I am off to next soon.

No comments: