Saturday, October 25, 2008

Neil Comments on the World Economic Meltdown














One of the true joys of long distance budget travel is that you are rarely near a TV set with all that depressing news. But, occassionally, like watching a bad accident you just have to look. As usual, it is totally overhyped, but is definitely a reality. I found out when logging on to Royal Bank after being denied access for three weeks (damn Turkish keyboards!).

So yes, my stocks are down, and the Canadian dollar is no longer par with the US. But the good news is the relationship between the CDN $ and the euro is still the same, and that is what I have been spending.

I also look at the fact that most of this trip was paid for by selling my oil stocks a while ago when oil was about $125 a barrel (I bought them years ago when oil was $11). So in hindsight, that was great. I also paid for my ATW ticket, and bought my GAP tours when the CDN $ was at par, so another stroke of luck.

Furthermore, as I have watched $25,000 evaporate out of my RSP accounts due to the stock market downturn, I say to myself at least my withdrawl of money paid for something fun - this trip. Better than the money simply disappearing.

And finally, I agree with Warren Buffet - now is a great time to BUY stocks, some excellent companies are at great values.

Enough finance and economics - the world awaits discovery!

No comments: