Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Modern Stone Age Family














I have seen many amazing sites in my travels, and when people ask what is the most spectacular thing I have ever seen, I always say Igguasu Falls. I now have another superlative to add to my travel stories - the most magical place - Goreme, Cappedocia, Turkey.

The geology of the area has created several amazing phenomenon. There is the "Grand Canyon" like area outside the city. There are the area of vertical columns (which we have another name for). But the most magical thing is the fairy chimneys. How can I describe them. They are solid rock, and shaped something like a giant teardrop. And guess what.... people have lived inside them for thousands of years. Not only that, but now they are budget hotels, so ordinary travellers like Clarence and I can afford to stay inside these cave.














Yes, Neil and Clarence inside fairy chimneys, I can hear the comments now. But it is truly... amazing.... magical.... other worldly. And yes, I have been humming the theme to the Flintstones a few times.














Everyday starts the same way in Goreme, dozens of hot air balloon floating over the village at sunrise. More magic!














The hiking in the area is fantastic. Scenes that look like they are from another planet everywhere. We try to get out early when it is cool, as the desert like climate here means it heats up fast during the day. About 25 C, but feels very hot in the sun. Generally not a cloud in the sky, and very light winds (thus the excellent conditions for ballooning).

While hiking, there are many opportunities to go into cave houses that are thousands of years old. We paid to go into the Open Air Museum, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but honestly, we have seen better things on our hikes. As we both have a lot of stamina, we have hiked way back where there are no people, and are checking out "Flintstones" houses on our own.














A word about the Flintstones - there are several references to them in town, including a Flintstones Bar. Kind of funny, and a definite trademark infringement!

There is also a valley in the area that made me think of my friend Peter, not sure why.














The village of Goreme itself is really nice. Some authentic Turkish characters, but very well set up for tourism. As it is October, it is not very busy, just perfect. There are great restaurants to eat in, and Clarence, being vegetarian, is not having too much of a problem.

The magic continues as night falls, and the sun sets. The town is all lit up, and you know me and lighting, really makes for a great setting.














My favourite stop so far on a fantastic trip!

No comments: