Sunday, May 10, 2009

Back to the Southern Hemisphere

After a quick budget flight from Phuket to Singapore, I find myself at the Singapore Airlines Business Class check in with the agent telling me my reservation has been auto-cancelled. This is in spite of the fact I hold a paper ticket, and Lufthansa sent me an updated itinerary just days ago.

Oh well, no problem, they have Business Class seats on that night's flight to Melbourne, so I take one on the upper deck of a 747-400 - first time ever upstairs.

I spend the good part of the day in the Silver Kris lounge in Singapore, huge, very nice, and tons of stuff to eat, drink and read - very comfortable.














Our flight takes off on time, the service is amazing with an excellent dinner, then I am off to sleep in the almost flat bed.














On arrival in Melbourne I quickly locate the skybus to town, then figure out the trams to get me to St. Kilda. My reservation of a private room is waiting at the Olembia Guesthouse, and I sleep away some of the morning.

Later that afternoon I am out exploring on foot - I instantly like Melbourne. I have just stopped at an internet cafe here in St. Kilda to let you know I am here safe and sound.

More from Melbourne soon.


1 comment:

catmom said...

Ahhhhhh... the tough life of a budget traveller!! Sounds fabulous, as always. Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound in Australia and are feeling all better again. It will be quite a switch to be in an English (sort of) speaking country with somewhat more familiar things after so long in SE Asia.

Looking forward to blogs from Aussie-land! G-day and please remember to NOT eat any kangaroo ... baaaaad karma brother-dearest!

Hugs,
L & G