Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sexy - Surfer - Swimmer - Sydney














You couldn't go to Vancouver and not see Stanley Park, in the same way, you could not go to Sydney and not see world famous Bondi Beach.

May, in the Southern Hemisphere is the equivalent of late November at home, so it was really nice that the day was mostly sunny and 21 degrees. Getting around Sydney is so easy with great public transit. So, I hopped on the #333 Express Bus to Bondi, and off I went. You know you are on transit in Sydney when someone gets on the bus with a surfboard.














I arrived at the beach, and was hit by the classic sweeping view. It is everything stereotypical about Australia, and you have to love it. The sand is really nice, and the surf was high. All the surfers where in wetsuits, which I am sure made them look more like seals to the sharks!

I wandered the beach and the shops along the waterfront. I also took the wonderful Coastal Walk south to the next beach - Tamarama. As I walked the cliff-side trail, I wondered if Vancouver might lose its "Best City in the World" status with me. Sydney really is spectacular.














I dropped by the Bondi Iceburgs oceanside pool, Bondi's version of Kits Pool, only more spectacular. Seems there was an amateur swim meet going on that day, with many corporate teams and even the NSW Fire Brigade Swim Team. You just have to love Australia, perhaps the only place in the world where straight men still wear speedos. I really enjoyed my day at Bondi Beach. (More pictures on my flickr page)




No comments: