Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sunny Sydney!

On Friday, I had made my way over to Watson's Bay by ferry, and a huge storm hit just as the ferry docked. I nipped inside a cozy hotel there, where they had a great fish and chips special - just what I was craving. I returned to the city and stayed inside (read cozy pubs) for the evening.

Finally on Saturday, the storms abated, the weather warmed up, and the sun came out. Perfect, I had planned to explore some inner city neighbourhoods, so on went the walking shoes, and out I went.














I discovered that besides being a beautiful city, Sydney is also a city of fantastic neighbourhoods. It would be a hard decision to figure out which one to live in if I were fortunate enough to move here.

I started with the familiar - Oxford Street, the heart of Sydney's gay area. I had been there a couple of time already, but this trip was for you, dear readers, had to get you some pictures.

Further down Oxford Street, I took a left and headed into Darlinghurst, supposidly a very edgy neighbourhood. Well, by day it was really interesting, with lots of down to earth shops, restaurants and bars. It gradually gave way to King's Cross, the original backpackers area of Sydney, but again, it was nicer than I thought it would be. You enter the Cross when you come upon the huge Coca Cola sign, sort of Sydney's version of the Hollywood sign.














A cute little house with tree fern in Darlinghurst.














Looking back towards Sydney from the Potts Point neighbourhood.

After Kings Cross, it was further north into Potts Point. Yes, there certainly was some money here, with a really nice mixture of old and new buildings, and an amazing view back across the water towards the Sydney skyline.














I then reversed my path back through all the previous neighbourhoods, and took a left on Oxford to head into the Paddington neighbourhood. Not quite as upscale as Potts Point, but very nice, and a great shopping street (think Union Street in San Francisco, or Fourth Avenue in Vancouver).

I wandered around this neighbourhood, checking out the sidestreets, and generally just enjoyed being outside in the nice weather.














Casual dining in Paddington.

No comments: