Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Conservative Melbourne














I have been very curious to get to Melbourne, as I have heard so much about it. Invariably, when I have met an Aussie while travelling, they seem to be from Melbourne. Most of us Vancouverites know that Melbourne and our wonderful city usually tie every year for the title of the "World's Most Livable City". It seems that perhaps they are kindred spirits - two somewhat understated, yet great, world cities.

It is when I arrived and started exploring that I was a little surprised. Indeed, Melbourne is a flourishing arts city, with galleries, theatres and concerts everywhere. It has a fantastic transit network, especially the wonderful trams that trundle everywhere. But, it lacks the density of Vancouver (as most cities do), and therefore the neighbourhoods are not as crowded and lively. We really don't realize how lucky we are until we travel. Melbourne, I was also told, had an edgyness to it. But I found it to be on the somewhat quiet, conservative side. Please don't get me wrong, I really like Melbourne, it was just I was led to believe it was something it was not.














That being said, it is quite easy to imaging living here. It is very civilized and livable, with all the big city amenities one needs.

I have also found the prices to be a bit of a shock. After Asia, anything would be. But compared with Vancouver, they are very high. I suppose it is because I know my way around Vancouver so well, and know all the little inexpensive hole-in-the-wall restaurants where you can eat cheap and good. Everything here seems to have prices in the high-teens.... ouch!

I have made up for it by finding lots of free venues by day. Yesterday I did the National Gallery of Victoria in Federation Square, then wandered down the Yarra River to the Royal Botanical Gardens, also free.















With these savings I have decided I can splurge for tomorrow, and am taking an all day wine tour to the Yarra Valley. They pick me up near my guesthouse, we go to 4 wineries for tours and tastings, including champagne at Domaine Chandon. Also included is lunch and wine at a nice restaurant. It is an all day affair, and I will be back in town at 7:00 in the evening.

I am also planning for my future Australia travels today. After this, I am heading downtown to Southern Cross Station to pick up a Greyhound bus pass, that can take me all the way from Melbourne to Cairnes, with flexible stopovers along the way. I know it will be long tedious days of travel, but I do like to see the countryside and meet the people. The alternate is to fly over it all, which I will do on the way back to Melbourne.

On that thought, I hit an Air New Zealand ticket office yesterday, and confirmed all my flights are still on the system. I was also able to re-route through San Francisco on the way home, so will finish the trip the way I started it, with my wonderful friends, Craige and Greg (maybe even Dawn and Stef again, hint-hint).

Cheers from Melbourne!

No comments: