Saturday, November 5, 2011

Escape to Paradise

When I booked my trip to Cotopaxi, I also decided to splurge on a trip to the tropical cloud forests of Mindo, Ecuador. My book had mentioned a fantastic lodge in the forest, and my travel agent was able to book it for a very reasonable $88 per night, and that included 3 multi-course meals... wow! What was not reasonable was a private driver to take me out to Mindo. I just did not feel like dealing with a third world bus station in a busy city with my very limited Spanish. So $90 later, a private car was arranged.

The car arrived on Friday morning, 15 minutes early, right at my hotel. It was a late model and very clean. My driver did not speak any English, so we tried to converse in my very limited Spanish. Once we got out of Quito, we weaved our way through the mountains, dropping in elevation to about 6,000 feet. As we did so, the landscape became much more lush, and as the name says, the misty clouds moved in.

Two hours later, we arrived at Sachatamia Lodge, a paradise in the cool, misty cloud forest.



























The lodge, and my room were both very nice. I had a beautiful 3 course lunch, including Quinoa soup (my sister Laurie would be happy), fresh caught trout with vegetables, and banana cake for dessert. Out the dining room window, the hummingbirds buzzed about, dazzling the diners with their bright colours.



So I asked at the front desk about the possibility of a forest tour, and maybe some ziplining, explaining my fear of heights. No problem, she said, be here at 2:00, and for a whole $8 I would be hiking for 2 1/2 hours, including two ziplines.

At 2:00 I was introduced to my guide, Daniel, who did not speak a word of English. Great, I thought, this is not going to be a good thing. I picked out some big rubber boots, grabbed my MEC jacket, and off the two of us went into the Cloud Forest.



We went deep into the forest, no sign of anyone else. We stopped a various plants, and he described what they were used for in Spanish. If I did not understand, he would try other words, or would demonstrate the use with gestures. We established a bond, and it worked out just fine.

After about 20 minutes, and steady but gentle rain started up, and continued for the entire hike. It did not ruin the hike, if anything it just added to the magic of the Cloud Forest. After about an hour, we came upon a hanging rope in the forest. Daniel demonstrated a swing way out over a ravine, and I gave it a try.

I must admit, at this point I thought this might be my canopy adventure... I mean, I only paid $8



On we continued through the forest. The entire hike was on a very narrow and tricky trail. We were up and down hills and ravines; I was certainly getting my workout.

Then we came upon a small clearing, and there it was... a tight metal cable stretched high over a deep valley, I would guess about 100 feet deep. Umm, no booth here full of young men in polo shirts, with "Zipline Ecuador" embroidered on them, no siree, just Daniel and I alone in the forest. Daniel pulls the zipline harness out of his small backpack, and takes about 2 minutes to attach it to the cable. He straps me in, and gives me a very quick lesson on how to detatch myself on the other side... again, no attendant there. I do not get to watch anyone else do the zipline as we are alone, and I am going first. Time for a leap into the unknown.




























I will just let the video speak for itself.


I got to the other side after an exhilerating ride, and as I said, was on my own. I was kind of dangling from the cable, barely able to reach the ground. I managed to detach the harness from my body and left leg, but could not detach the right leg as I was dangling, and there was too much weight on the harness. After much hopping and struggling, the yogi in me managed to detach the harness from my right leg. The harness went flying back over the deep valley, and this was Daniel's signal to haul the harness back to his side with the super long rope he had attached to it.

He did not bother to harness himself in, he just sat on the harness, and wizzed over to join me.

So how am I now... experiencing a natural high, with all the endorphins pumping through my body, the rain, the smell of the jungle, the green, the squish of rubber boots on the forest floor... I was grinning ear to ear.

We hiked for another 20 minutes or so, and sure enough, came upon another small clearing, and another zipline. This valley was even deeper, about 150 feet, and this time I did not bother to film, so I had a chance to look around, including down. It's funny, I have an intense fear of heights, but this situation was fine. I went zipping across with a big Wooooo Hooooo!

Endorphins still pumping like mad, we made our way back through the forest for another hour or so; I was just soaking in the experience, and enjoying the beautiful lush cloud forest.

After an intense 2 1/2 hours of hiking and ziplining, we were back at the lodge. Man, did that hot shower feel good.

Sitting in the lounge by the fire that evening, I overheard some people speaking English. Where are you from, I asked? Two from Richmond, one from Kamloops... what a small world. The couple from Richmond were living in Quito, the husband working on the new airport they are building here. We had a lovely conversation over drinks, then it was time to eat. Another beautiful 3 course meal was served, and of course I decided to celebrate my day with some wine (huge surprise to you who know me)

The next day I went out for another hike on my own to take pictures, as the day before I was just soaking in the experience. I got to the edge of where guest are not supposed to venture beyond, and decided to go further, as there was only one trail. Well, I think Mother Nature intervened to give me a message. After a few minutes slogging up the trail, a weird orange insect landed on my bare arm. As I brushed it off, it gave me a nasty sting... Ouch! OK, time to head back.































Later that day, it was time to return to Quito, to meet up with my GAP Adventures group. The helpful lady at the front desk checked, and all the seats on the 2:00 bus to Quito were taken. Oh well, time for plan B, hiring a private car back. This time it was only $50, and the driver was a nice young guy named Felix. We "chatted" away in Spanish... well, I did my best. Traffic was light, so we arrived back in Quito about 3:00.

I dashed to an internet cafe to update you all, and met my GAP group at a 6:00 meeting that night.

16 of us, lots of Canadians, and we are all off heading towards the Amazon today.

I am just loving Ecuador so far!

1 comment:

catmom said...

Congratulations on conquering your fear of ziplines ... can't say I would do the same, so good for you!! And a hearty second congratulations on looking so good in "Fulford shoes" (also known in these parts as gumboots - I now have 2 pairs)! You'll fit right in here if you come over during the rainy winter months.

So glad you are having a fabulous time.

Hugs,
L