Sunday, November 20, 2011

Otavalo on Friday - the calm before the storm

We arrived at the world famous Otavalo market on Friday. Saturday is the huge day at the market, with not only tourists, but locals from miles around coming to buy all sorts of things.














Arriving on Friday proved to be very smart (what else would you expect from GAP). The market only consists of the central square every other day of the week, but there is lots to choose from, and the vendors are eager to make a sale.

So we had some relaxing shopping, avoiding the massive crowds that were about to arrive the next day. I managed to find not one, but two alpaca blankets that would suit my place so well; I was thrilled. Equally thrilling was the fact I managed to stuff both of them, plus a few other purchases in my carry on backpack.















After a hard afternoon shopping in the hot Equatorial sun, we grabbed a prime table above the market for some cold beers. It was fascinating to watch them take the whole place apart, and store it for the night. I cannot believe they do this everyday.



Later that evening, we all went out to dinner at a very authentic Ecuadorian restaurant. Jeremy got brave and ordered Cuy (guinea pig). Please forgive me, Laurie, I did have a little taste. Yup, its the classic "tastes like chicken"!

1 comment:

catmom said...

OMG !!!!! You ate Benjamin ??? All I can say is KARMA.