Saturday, November 12, 2011

Facing your Fears!

We headed back to the highlands, and are now in the wonderful town of Baños, the adventure capital of Ecuador. Well, what can one do in such a capital when one has already tried their hand at ziplining.

You all know that in spite of living on the 26th floor, I am terrified of heights, especially the edges of cliffs and similar things.

Well kids, I decided to face my fears, and spent several hours yesterday afternoon Canyoneering with some of the younger and fitter members of our group. This involved donning wetsuits and helmits, climbing an increadibly steep and high hike to a canyon, then rappeling on ropes down 4 waterfalls.














The falls ranged in height, 18, 20, 25 and 27 metres, close to 100 feet high. It was almost a sheer drop, with water everywhere pushing you around. The ropes had no breaking mechanism, we learned to control their movement through our harnesses.




















The slippery edges at the top of the waterfalls were terrifying, but I breathed my way through it. Once over the edge, you concentrate on technique, rappeling down with bum down and fairly straight legs. It was truly exhilarating, and to say that I feel I accomplished a major feat is truly an understatement!


















Near the bottom, there are 2 more waterfalls which we went over in the harness, feet down, dangling, being controlled by our guide above. Unfortunately, near the bottom of the second to last fall, I swung out and went smashing into the rock face. Did I hit my back and bum.... no. My tailbone smacked into the rock, and it was pretty painfull.

I am doing fine now, a bit of pain down there, but recovering fast. That is why I have time to write this; I have skipped the whitewater rafting this morning (which I have done before).

Who is this crazy 54 year old adventure traveller....? I don´t know, but I think I like him.

1 comment:

catmom said...

More "wows" for Neil - good for you! Hope your tailbone is just bruised and you are healing fast. GAP sure is a great company - how wonderful they are supporting women's groups and communities. Very important. And I loved the chocolate making story ... mmmm ... what fun. You'll never look at chocolate the same way again! Take care,

Hugs,
L