Tuesday, November 1, 2011

High, Higher, Highest














So, here I am in Quito, at about 9,300 feet, and what is the plan for the next few days? Well, time to starve myself of less oxygen, and head higher. My guidebook had mentioned Panecillo hill, and indeed, it was quite visible from the historic centre of Quito. The book also mentioned that a restaurant there was featured on the Amazing Race All Stars... how could I resist. I don't recall seeing that episode, likely because I was on my own Race (well, a trip) Around the World.














I grabbed a taxi stating $5 for Panecillo. Off we went into traffic, and within a few blocks, the driver was telling me it was $10 (I know my numbers in Spanish). No, I said, reaching for the door handle. A few more blocks of discussion, and it was $6 to get to the top of the hill.

In hindsight, it turned out to be a bargain. Traffic was horrendous through the streets of Quito, almost gridlock. At one point the driver reached back, rolled up my window, locked my door, then proceeded to demonstrate how someone would grab my bag, pull off my watch, and slash my pants with a knife in order to get my money belt. Under the pants money belts ceased to be a secret years ago.

Anyways, finally arrived at the top of the hill overlooking Quito, and the view was beautiful! There was a giant statue at the top, apparently Quito's answer to Christ the Redeemer in Rio, or the Virgin Mary in Santiago.

I am guessing we were at about 10,500 feet, and even though it was clearly a tourist trap, who could resist a restaurant featured in the Amazing Race.



























So in I went to a fairly upscale restaurant. It was not busy, so I got a window table overlooking the city. I continued with my ¨"When in Rome" theme, and ordered a local dish of pork, with sides of fried plantains, very unusual white corn, potato, roasted peanuts, and the usual avocados, tomato and onion. All washed down with an ice cold Pilsner and some bottled water (an outragious $18 including tax and tip)

I enjoyed my meal, contemplating the city below, and watching some condors circling catching the themals.

After lunch, I realized I was trapped on a mountain, with only one way to get back to the city... taxi. How much was this going to cost? Finally one showed up, and guess what... a taxi back to the city for only $3 Yah!!!

Headed back to the city, and decided it was finally time to try the city's nightlife (um, Neil, it is only your second night here).

Decided to just go for it. Left my trusty bag in the room, and grabbed my equally trusty travel jacket. Put the camera in the hidden pocket, stuffed my front pockets with some small bills and out I went.














The main square of New Town, and probably the trendiest crossroads in all of Ecuador was only 1 1/2 blocks away. Found a place that looked comfortable for sitting by myself that had a great happy hour, and ordered a drinkie. This area is packed with people at night, and great for people watching. The guy at my hotel was likely right, no problem walking before midnight.

Had a couple of drinks, some nice snacks and enjoyed the ambience. Was home about 8:30, and had a great sleep.

Up the next morning (Tuesday) and what is planned next? Well, let's head even higher, to the second highest cable car in the world, at 13,300 feet above Quito.

Actually, Robert and I have been up the highest in the world years ago, in Merida, Venezuela.















The day was absolutely spectacular. Sunny, only a few high clouds, and nice and warm. I packed my jacket knowing all that could change at 13,000 feet.

Grabbed a taxi (gee, this is getting easy!) and made it to the Teleferico just after it had opened. Headed up high, high, high above the city, and the view was just stunning. It was so clear, you could see all three snow capped volcanos surrounding Quito. I got to the top, and took it easy walking around, and just snapped away at the stunning vistas.





























I then recalled an important thing I have learned from travel and photography. Just stop, put the camera away, and live the scenery! Look, smell, taste, experience....

There were some viewpoints even higher, so how to get to them, climb, of course. Yes the air is very, very thin up here, so I took it easy. Several times, I broke into yogic breathing without even thinking. I am sure it helped. I got a bit out of breath, of course, but no dizzyiness or headaches.

After about an hour of ejoying the views, including watching planes taking off way below me, headed back down to the base.

Met a couple from Germany heading back into town, but they were going to Old Town, I was going to New. They jumped into the cab, who said he would take me too for an additional $4.

We drove towards my area of town, and when we were on the edge of the neighbourhood, he asked if it were OK to drop me off here. I said yes, but would only pay $3. He started giving me directions back to where I was staying, and I cut him off. Umm, no problem, I know where I am going, I know this area of Quito well.

Yes kids, the travel mojo is back big time. I am strolling around Quito with a big grin on my face... this is what I love in life, travel, sights, experiences, adventure!

So what next? Well, like the title says, time to go even higher. I am hiking Cotopaxi National Park on Thursday. Cotopaxi itself is over 19,000 feet, but of course I am not climbing it, that is for experienced mountaineers. I will be hiking up to the base of the glacier, which is 4900 metres (my guess about 15,000 feet). We will also hike around a high mountain lake.

After that, I have booked a luxury lodge for a night in the cloud forest near Mindo. There is lots of wildlife and birds, and looking forward to some communing with nature. Oh, there are also ziplines there, so depending upon how brave I feel... cue music... Amazing Race.

So, busy for a while, so you may not hear from me for several days. Not to worry, the great Ecuador adventure continues.

No comments: