Monday, June 22, 2009

Air New Zealand Business Premier

I had a smooth and uneventful Qantas flight down to Melbourne from Cairns. It was back to winter again with 12 degree temperatures. I got a hotel close to the airport with a free shuttle.














I was up the next morning and off to the airport for my noon flight to Auckland. I did not bother to eat anything as I hoped the Air New Zealand lounge would have some breakfast food. I arrived at the airport, changed the last of my Aussie dollars for Kiwi ones (73 cents CDN), checked in at Business Class and headed through Priority Security to the lounge.

The lounge was nicely done and quite large. It had the best selection of breakfast food I have ever seen in a lounge, lots of delicious filling food, nicely prepared and presented. I had a great relaxing breakfast, including 2 lattes.














We boarded the plane, a 777-200ER, right on time, and I did a "Robert" and smirked at all the people walking though Business Class looking at our huge seats/beds. Air New Zealand has those angled seats that are like little pods, that fold into flat beds. The NZ sparkling wine they gave us as we sat down went down well.

The inflight service was very good. They handed out menus and took our selection of drinks for after take-off. After a vodka and cranberry juice (42 below vodka is NZ made), they set my huge table, and offered me a roast duck salad, and my choice of wines (a NZ Sauvignon Blanc, of course).

For the main, I had an absolutely delicious and tender beef fillet with a surprisingly good NZ Syrah red (did not know they made good reds too). Choice of desserts was followed by a cheese and fruit plate, topped up with coffee and a Grand Marnier.

I am now actually looking forward to my 12 1/2 hour flight to San Francisco - it may be even better than this one. God, I never want to fly economy again!

No comments: