Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Tropical FNQ

That is a common abbreviation given this area - Tropical Far North Queensland. It is the area surrounding the two big tourist towns of Cairns and Port Douglas. By the way, it is pronounced Cans, as in cans of tuna.

It is the winter here, and the temperatures are perfect. Low humidity, and highs of about 26 to 28, lows of 17 to 20 - just ideal.

The area here is beautiful, in that the Great Barrier Reef is close to shore, the mountains come close to the sea, the area is protected Tropical Rainforest (it is the dry season now), and there are wonderful beaches.

I arrived after a full day bus trip from Airlie Beach. Andrew, one of my hosts from Boyz on the Beach, was at the bus station to pick me up. I have splurged a bit on the last part of my trip, staying at a gay B&B. Andrew and Bob are wonderful hosts, and their two dogs, Lady and Boof, are very friendly.














Breakfast is served in the dining and lounge area by the pool. It is kind of a seamless link between inside and outside - there is a ceiling, but no walls. Everything is wide open and tropical. My room is in a connected building. I have a huge shared bath, but as there is no one in the adjoining room, it is all mine.














I bought a package from the guys that includes airport (or bus) pick-up and drop off, 5 nights accomodation, a special rainforest tour, a Great Barrier Reef snorkeling trip, and a trip on the Skyrail to Kuranda with return by scenic rail.














Every second day I just get to relax, and of course they helped me find the clothing optional beach up the coast - Buchans Point. Luckily Cairns has a good bus system thoughout its beach suburbs, so I can get to all these places. Boyz on the Beach is actually in the suburb of Kewarra Beach.

Today I have come up the Skyrail to Kuranda, and am now waiting for the train back through the rainforest back to Cairns. I will write about this wonderful experience in my next blog.



























By the way, this is my bedroom, and the morning view out my bedroom window (notice my big feet). The B&B backs on tropical rainforest.

No comments: