Monday, June 1, 2009

Byron Bay Birthday














Interesting that I find myself in Byron Bay, Australia for my 52nd birthday. Australia is a place I have dreamed of visiting since I was a little kid, I think my Australian Grade 3 teacher lit the fire. And Byron Bay, so symbolic of the life I seem to be moving towards.

Byron Bay is absolutely beautiful. I was surprised how lush and green it is here, lots of subtropical rain forest with tons of native palms. The beaches are fantastic, with beautiful sand, and great waves for surfing. The place has an alternative vibe, kind of like Salt Spring Island, with lots of new age, alternative therapies and aging hippies. Like Salt Spring, there is also lots of money here.















There are lots of interesting shops and restaurants, so I may treat myself to a nice dinner out tonight. My real birthday will be celebrated later this week with my friends David and John in Brisbane. I head there tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone back home for the well timed birthday greetings - we are almost a day ahead here.

I am renting a bicycle today, and heading south in search of Byron Bay's nude beach.

No comments: