Friday, June 12, 2009

Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef














Well, it is another one off the list of 1001 Things to Do Before You Die. It is probably up near the top of many people's lists - Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef.

All the way up the coast on Greyhound, I have been noticing this "backpackers special" for daytrips in this area. It looked like too good a deal to be true. When I got here and talked to the people at my hostel desk, they confirmed it, it is these two trips in the brochures, but if you are a backpacker, you get great savings. I have a Hostelling International card, and this definitely made it worth getting.

The first trip was to the Great Barrier Reef on a really great looking boat. It seemed to include a lot of extras, and was $199. The second trip was on a sailboat through the Whitsunday Islands, again, a real swish boat. This trip was $165. As a backpacker (please don't tell them I don't do dorm rooms!), I could get the two for $199. What's the gimmick - there is none!














So I took the trip, but had fairly low expectations - you get what you pay for. Well guess what, the first trip to the Reef was fabulous, and I am really looking forward to tomorrow's sailing trip.

The staff was just excellent, and they served coffee along with morning tea. It was all kinds of pastries, including scones with jam and fresh whipped cream. Out at the Reef Pontoon, snorkeling gear was free, as were trips on a semi-submersible, trips on the glass bottom boat, and a great buffet lunch. On the way back, afternoon tea of savouries was served.

The snorkeling was amazing. I have done a bit in Hawaii, but this was 1000 times better (and bigger). We had wetsuits, so I managed to stay in for about an hour, as the water is only 24 degrees.














My camera does not work underwater, so I could not capture the feeling. This picture I found on the internet pretty well shows what I experienced.... magic!



On the way home, we had an amazing sunset while sailing through the Whitsunday Islands. That is where I am off to tomorrow on my sailing cruise, including Whitehaven Beach, supposidly one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

More from Cairns soon.

1 comment:

catmom said...

WOW ... now that's what I'm talking about!! Looks ab-fab and I'm sure the colours and sites underwater were just as beautiful as the internet pic. I was floored by some of the gorgeous snorkeling we did on the big island this Christmas - so I know how amazing the underwater world is. Sounds like you had a spectacular day and I'm sure will have another great one tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Love L & G