Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Brisbane Boys














I met David and John about 3 years ago in Vancouver. They were travelling the West Coast, and we hit it off. I invited them to stay at my place, and now they are returning the favour in Brisbane.

I think many of you sensed that I was tiring of travel towards the end of Thailand, and you would be right. Once I arrived in Australia, the familiarity of the place (no, I have never been here, but it feels a lot like Canada) gave me a boost, and I started enjoying travel again.

It got even better when I got to Brisbane, and got to stay in a real home, with real home cooking again (John is a fabulous cook). You don't eat enough fresh veggies when you travel, and the first night here we were out in the garden picking veggies to go with dinner. The dinner was great, just like the company.














We have been touring around Brisbane, seeing the sights, and checking out the town. The city is dominated by the Brisbane River, which winds through town. The skyline is pretty impressive, and gives the impression of a much bigger city (Brisbane population is 1.8 million).

The climate is subtropical, with all kinds of wonderful palms and exotic plants growing in a city that otherwise looks a lot like a Canadian city.














Some friends came up from Melbourne, and are also staying here. A bunch of us went out to a big gay event in the city, White Wolf. Big party, lots of drinking and dancing, not my usual, but fun when you know lots of people. I met many of their friends, and Brizzy guys are a real friendly, casual bunch.

Tomorrow I head north, and overnight in Rockhampton, right on the Tropic of Capricorn. Then I am in the tropics, with 4 nights in Airlie Beach, then 6 nights in Cairns.














G'day mate from Brizzy!

No comments: