Friday, September 14, 2012

A Day of Vouchers

The plan for yesterday (Thursday) was to take Air Canada Executive First from Vancouver to Tokyo, and overnight at the Narita Hilton, then continue on to Jakarta the next day.

Well, I sit here today (Friday), in the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge, feeling like I am in a time loop.

The day started with a call from the Air Canada concierge telling me my flight would be delayed by 2 1/2 hours.  The plane used for the flight was late coming in from London.

OK, so off to the airport I go, not rushing as there was now additional time.  I checked in at Executive Class, and was given a $15 lunch voucher, good at any restaurant at the airport.  I had not eaten, anticipating food in the lounge, but decided a light meal might be nice.  I cleared security with no problems, and headed to Milestones, in the International Departure area.   They were still serving eggs benny, so I decided to go for that.














More freebies awaited me in the Maple Leaf lounge - nice snacks, drinks and reading material.  Our plane was a beautiful state of the art 777-300ER, and I was in seat 3A, a private pod.  The plane finally took off for Tokyo at 4:45, and we were offered the usual champagne as we got seated.













The service was lovely, with starter seafood and salad served with a wonderful Sauvignon Blanc.  A prime beef tenderloin was to follow with a red Malbac, then a cheese and fruit plate.  While I was indulging in all this, an announcement was made asking if there was a doctor or nurse on board.

To make a long story short, both a flight attendant and a passenger were having problems, and as we flew over northern BC, the captain announced that we were to return to Vancouver.  We made a wide circle, and were given priority clearance to land at Vancouver.

Stretchers were waiting to take away the 2 ill people, then we were given Customs forms to clear back into Vancouver... weird.  Got to give it to Canada Border Services, clearing through was a breeze.  Air Canada personal were waiting for us, with hotel vouchers for Executive First passengers at the Fairmont Airport Hotel.  I think rooms there normally start at $300, so it was pretty nice.

I resisted the urge to open the $6.50 bottle of water, and declined to order the $30 breakfast, which with taxes and manditory tip would have come to about $40.  They did give us a $32 meal voucher, and as I had just eaten a steak dinner, I used for some wine at the bar (this sounds like the Neil you know!).

There was a huge crowded area set up to re-book everyone, but I skipped over to ticketing.  The lady said I should go to the special area, but then as ticketing people tend to do, she started typing like a fiend.  I told her going through Tokyo was not important, I just wanted to get to Jakarta.  Within 5 minutes, she had a new itinerary for me for the next day.  I avoided an early start for our now 7AM Tokyo flight, as she put me through Hong Kong, with a tight connection on Cathay Pacific to Jakarta, and yes, Executive Class all the way.

So here I am in the lounge again, thinking I may have the Salmon on today's flight.  This computer will not let me post pictures, but I will try to add a couple later to make this blog more interesting.

Experienced traveller that I am, I never once got stressed or worried, just went with the flow.  Interesting start to what I am sure is going to be a fantastic trip.



Oh, I almost forgot - checking in beside me this morning were the members of Bachman Turner Overdrive!

No comments: