Saturday, September 22, 2012

Oooops, I did it Again

Well, those of you who know me well know that I have been battling skin/foot problems for about 4 months this year.  I was so worried that it would cause the cancellation of my Indonesia trip.  Luckily, with some intensive care and powerful drugs, it seemed to be under control when I left Canada.

Well, guess what.... about 4 days into the trip it came back.  I recognized it immediately as the same symptoms that I had 4 weeks ago.  Then, I had to go to the hospital everyday for a week for intravenous antibiotics.  Well, here I am in a hot tropical third world country with the same problem.

I did not have any antibiotics, except those for diarrhea, nor any proper bandages.  I improvised very creatively with what I had available, with some help from my roommate Jack.  Once we got to Yogyakarta, I asked my guide Nova to take me to a pharmacist.  I asked for doxycycline, but they did not have any.  Instead they offered a very powerful antibiotic that did in 3 days what the typical medicine did in 7.  I also bought some proper disinfecting solution, sterile cotton swabs, gauze, and tensor wrap.

Only 2 days later, it was not getting worse, indeed, it seemed to be improving.  As we do not hit civilization (Ubud) again for several days, my guide and fellow travelers talked me into going to a clinic (thanks Isabella).

Nova helping me sign in

Nova and I took a bekak (bicycle richshaw) to a nearby local clinic.  It was not a clinic for travelers, but one used by local Indonesians.  It was fairly simple, but I felt quite comfortable there.  We signed in and waited to see the doctor.

Waiting area in the Indonesian clinic

The doctor is in




























The wait did not take long, and we went in to see a female doctor, complete with stethoscope and head scarf.  She was very nice, and spoke some English.  To be completely clear, Nova provided translation.  She had a look at the infection, and the medications and supplies I had been using (I was smart enough to bring them).

She said the antibiotics were working well, and to save the last pill from the 3 day supply.  She confirmed that they were indeed very powerful (don't worry, Laurie, they are Pfizer, and I am bringing the packaging and info home).  She prescribed some anti-inflammatory drugs, along with a better antiseptic cleaner, as well as more gauze and medical tape.

I know this is going to sound funny, but I think she had a better handle on the situation than my doctors at home.  They take more time here, and are also used to more simple scrapes and infections.

I was going to re-bandage myself when a lovely nurse, Maria, came in with a sterile cart.  She did a fantastic job of dressing up the whole thing, showing me what to do myself.

I did not have to go to an Apotik (pharmacy), the drugs and supplies were all there, and available within minutes, including detailed instructions on their use.  Then there was the bill.... 1/2 hour consultation with a doctor, including nurse Rp 107,000 ($10.70), and prescription drugs and medical supplies Rp 106,000 ($10.60).  Total bill just over $20 CAD, and they took my Visa card!

I was just there this morning, and am at the internet cafe this evening, feeling even better.  Better yet, the ankle/foot is looking better still.

I will be cleaning and dressing the ankle twice a day, and wearing only shoes and socks outside the hotel.  I feel just fine, will be watching the situation carefully, and have the full support of my fellow travelers.

You know what, this whole situation has been just fine (and I just figured out how to add captions to pictures on this blog... LOL!)

** Side note - it may not be until Ubud (Bali) that I post again - we are out climbing volcanoes and having other adventures... do not worry ** 

1 comment:

catmom said...

First of all ... Wow!! So many posts! I didn't check for about a day, then when I looked again ... there was so much to catch up on - thank you for all the news of your great trip!

Second ... I owe you my life for not posting a spider picture ... something bad could have happened had I seen it!!!

Third ... Thank you for being so detailed about your foot problem recurrence. It sounds like you are getting exemplary care. When I read in your earlier post that it had returned, my radar really went up so I was grateful to hear how it was being handled and that you recognize the importance of taking good care of it.

Fourth ... those temples - AMAZING - so beautiful and historically significant. I'll check out your Flicker site soon.

Take care - keep having fun ... sounds like an awesome trip.

Love from catmom