Sunday, September 7, 2008

If people from Berlin are Berliners, people from Hamburg must be....














Well, as I said, survived the night quite nicely. Woke up this morning feeling great, but in the total dark, had no idea what it was doing outside. Packed up my backpack with the raingear and umbrella on top, and headed out. Early, cool morning in Hamburg, but beautiful and sunny.

Now, it was a bit weird, as I was not staying anywhere, so headed to the train station to lock up my backpack, so I would be much more comfortable (not to mention lighter!)

*Sidenote* Everztime I tzpe a y, I should just let what appears staz, this interchanged y and z is driving me crayz!

Anyway, back to Hamburg. Noticed hundreds of spandex clad bikers heading in the same general direction as I was. After locking up my pack, checked out the back of the station, and it appears the biggest bike race of the year was taking place Sunday morning. It got underway at 8:00, and I was in prime viewing position. Funny how this non-planning can work out.














After watching them for a while, headed out on foot to explore the old city. Headed over an old bridge into an interesting part of town that was definitely part of the trading system years ago. Interesting buildings and waterways. Deep into the inner canals, headed back over the bridge towards and old church. After that, bumped into the bikers again, but this time in a very crowded downtown area, with thousands of screaming fans. I captured it on my camera' video function; now if I can just figure out how to upload it to this or flickr.














*Sidenote* I am already a bit frustrated by my inability to capture the essence of these places. Dwayne, you should definitely dig up a video cam somehow.

After the race, hit an internet cafe to provide you guys with my sparkling repartie, but also to book a hostel in Amsterdam and my trip to Paris after that. Turns out bus is much cheaper than train, so it is train Hamburg to Amsterdam, but bus Amsterdam to Paris. Also had to cut a day off Amsterdam due to hostel inavailability and price on the weekend.

No comments: