Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wonderful Copenhagen














So, first of all, not to worry about my previous post. The sadness disappeared quickly the next day as I checked out Copenhagen on foot. I must say my strongest first impression was created by the hundreds of people bicycling by on all the streets. It is so common here. People are generally dressed casually, yet kind of stylish, with some guys in jackets, and most of the ladies with nice scarfs draped around them. Helmets - are you kidding? This is casual Copenhagen.

The next thing you cannot help to notice is the fabulous architecture. Something like Amsterdam (I know, I haven't been there yet), but without the curves on top. A fair number of canals here too, and an interesting contrast with the old and new.

Wandered the streets with my stinky feet (have not found sandals yet, will likely wait until Germany, where I can also get some matching socks), and starting feeling very comfortable. You feel completely safe here, and the wonderful Danes have this laid back and happy attitude about life. It is an interesting contrast to New York.

The main shopping street is for pedestrians only, and goes for miles. I checked out some great stores (I know, I hate shopping), but it is so fabulous to see the incredible Danish modern design. So stylish, and such clean lines.















Trying to get the hang of budget travel, food wise. This is not easy, as there are so many tempting restaurants, with great food, and really nice atmospheres. You who know me, know I just love that! But did a falafal wrap for lunch, and did a delicious chicken crepe at a stand up counter for dinner.

Found a couple of bars at night (hey, my only guide is a gay one, so of course this will happen in many cities...), and met a couple of nice guys. Talked to a doctor from the Copenhagen suburbs, but spent most of the night communicating with a very nice hearing impaired guy - Even. Thank goodness his English was impecable, as I think we went through 6 pages of paper.

So, as I said, forget the previous post. Up fairly early the next day (Thursday) for breakfast at the guesthouse. I had bought bananas and yoghurt the day before, and put them in the fridge. Hit the computer, and did the previous 2 posts - hope you appreciate this, it is a lot about keeping you guys informed.

Out to explore the city; the 2 locals from the night before talked me out of taking a city tour, or a castle tour, they said they were rediculously overpriced. So, I came up with some good alternatives. I took a great tour of the habour on a boat for only DKK 60 (about $12). It was really interesting and scenic, and gave me a great overview of this 900 year old city, and its waterfront. I will try to insert a video clip here from my camera soon.

Later, I went to the main train station, trying to find out what a trip to Hamburg would cost. The internet had said about $140, so was prepared to search for some weird alternative city on a budget airline. Well guess what, the agent said the prices ranged from DKK 250 - 800 ($50 - 160) and he could check my desired time. He said that the lower priced fares were very rare, but guess what came up. I am off to Hamburg on Saturday (Sept 6) for only about $50!

After happy hour at the Men's Bar (only one beer) I went to Tivoli Gardens. I heard that Walt Disney visited there years ago, and it was his inspiration for Disneyland... interesting. It was a simpler, smaller, lower tech Disneyland, and of course very Danish. I hope my description is coming across right, because I really love this city, and the wonderful Danish people.















Tomorrow, I am off to Elsenor Castle, out in the Danish countryside. If you were listening during High School English, you will recall that this is the setting for Shakespere's Hamlet. The lady at the train station told me a much cheaper option than a round trip ticket, was to buy a 24 hour pass. That way afterwards, I can go anywhere on the amazing S-tog and train system. So perhaps another adventure awaits. More from Hamburg later...

No comments: