Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Room with a View















Corfu has proved to be the classic vacation experience. I am so happy I decided to come here.

First of all, the weather has been generally excellent. The one day it did rain, I just did a long hike with my umbrella. Most other days, if I were not exploring the island in my rented car, I was at Myrtiotissa Beach. It is just perfect, as it is a very laid back nude beach (they usually are), have crystal clear water, so did some long distance swimming. And of course, you can get fresh food and drinks right there. Fresh fruit with ice cream right on the beach - I'm there.

The other part that is just the best is my cute little pension in Pelekas village. Yes there are some tourists there, but it is the classic little Greek village, complete with a caste of authentic characters. You know the ones you always see on TV, little old ladies all in black, walking with a cane, motorcycles wizzing around her. People smile and wave everywhere, and are so friendly and hospitable.

My wonderful hosts, Elvira and Petros, could not be nicer. Always offering me something - coffee, cake, ouzo, even cooked me dinner one night. There is no saying no, they insisted. In the evening, some of their friends would drop by, and everyone was chattering away in Greek. Made no difference that I didn't understand a word, just being there was fun.














I shall bring home wonderful memories of this wonderful Greek island.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corfu looks beautiful. How nice to hear how hospitable and friendly people are. In stark contrast here in Vancouver we just had another gay-bashing by a bunch of thugs on Davie Street. On the plus side we're having some unseasonably sunny weather for Autumn. Looking forward to your next entry...

tonyc said...

Hi Neil, I think I figured out how to communicate with you. We are enjoying your adventure, Talk about the amazing race in slow motion, only thing is probably you are best doing it alone, I can see it, you and me on the race (first eliminated). Wow, what can I say, very envious. Love the sandals and socks. Keep the blog up as we look forward to your updates.

PS Phil saw Dwayne today, and he said he would call us. Would be great to keep in touch. Dwayne if you read this call us.

PSS Neil: Great pictures.

Also enjoying the comments for L&G and the other Tony.

Take care of yourself Tony & Phil

Chris and Seth said...

Hi Neil
Well I thought I had left a comment but obviously I hadn't.
Just wanted to say that we are enjoying your trip through your blog.
Travelling is the best - wish were could be there with you!
Stay away from wild English women (and English men) ha ha.
Take the frustrations in your stride and enjoy the new people that you get to meet.
C and S xxx