Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Corfu has it all!














Corfu has it all, it really does. No matter what you look for in a vacation/travel, it is all here. It has an amazing history and lots of historic sites. There is an a wonderful natural beauty here - the rugged mountains, the green of the cypress and olive trees. There is the wonderful Mediterranean climate, and so many beautiful beaches with clean sand and aqua coloured water. Lots of charming little authentic villages full of colourful Greek people. There is wonderful food and wine, served in friendly tavernas and outdoor patios. For those of you who want it, there are even luxury hotels and swimming pools.

And except for the luxury hotels, I am doing it all. I just moved across the island, into a cute little pension in a mountaintop village called Pelekas. You should see the view from my room - stunning vistas of mountains, valleys, villages, and the sea. It is very clean, has its own bathroom, 2 beds, A/C and TV (neither used by me), and a little mini kitchen with fridge, coffee maker and 2 burner stove - perfect! Oh yes, and only 22 euros per night, pretty good for one, and would be even better if I were sharing.

The other reason I moved over to Pelekas is that it is very close to Myrtiotissa nude beach. Beautiful clean sand, water still warm from the summer, relaxed friendly atmosphere - lots of families, and really great food and drinks. I had a huge sandwich the other day, it was a large bagette with olive oil, ham, cheese, wonderful ripe tomatoes, cucumber, green pepper, onions, herbs, salt and pepper made fresh for you - 3 euros. Add a beer or glass of wine for another 2 euros, and you have a perfect 5 euro lunch. Puts Wreck Beach to shame.














I have managed to book my trip to Turkey, where I meet my friend Clarence. I am really looking forward to his company, and know he has done lots of research, so the trip will be interesting. Clarence is also a real budget traveller, so he will likely get me back on my budget. I don't think I qualify as a true budget traveller - I like to treat myself too much. I don't spend like crazy, but just prefer a private room to a hostel, and a sit down meal once a day to a food stand.

I know every single one of my friends would find something here they would love. If you are considering an exotic sun vacation in the future, or want to add some nice beach time to a trip to Europe - consider Corfu.

A bit of basic information on Pelekas village at the following link: http://www.corfu-island.org/pelekas.htm


2 comments:

catmom said...

So glad you found your sunshine - I know you can't live without it. And Greece ... I totally understand your infatuation with it. We just LOVED it when we were there - it looks JUST like all the pictures. I would go back in a heartbeat and stay longer. Ours was a sidetrip from Denmark (if you can believe it!) so we didn't have much time. You'll have to try their fava bean spread ... it's like a bean version of humous you eat with bread. It was about the only thing I could find that was vegetarian! Way too much goat on the menu in Greece ... in green sauce, in red sauce, on a stick, in a stew - YUCK - I prefer my goat walking around field, butting heads with another goat, and chewing on my skirt, thank you!! Are you going to Santorini, Mykynos or Ahtens? Have fun - looking forward to hearing about Turkey.

Love L & G
OXOX

catmom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.