Monday, September 15, 2008

Images that Stimulate Me (a perfect day in Paris)














Woke up feeling great after a good night's sleep in the dorm. Also felt mentally better because it was a bright sunny day - Paris was waiting.

My blisters were still bad, so bandaged them up well for a day that had to include some walking. Zipped back to the Hotel de Ville on the metro, and considered taking the RER train to the museum, as I had the day before. Did not actually do the museum the previous day, as they were searching bags, and I still had my pot from Amsterdam in mine (hey, this is boarderless Europe).

Anyway, decided to hoof it to the Musee d' Orsay, and it turned out to be a great decision. Stumbled upon a wonderful exhibit being held on the Pont des Artists (Artists Bridge). It was about 50 beautifully done photos spead out on the bridge with detailed captions. The subject was Bad Air - Malaria, and had information, stats and of course amazing pictures from various countries, some of which I am going to visit. It really connected with me, and the irony of these pictures of people suffering with the backdrop of one of the world's most beautiful cities, was not lost. Unlike my approach to most museums, I studied each picture, and read every caption. Very moving.














Sun still shining, it was off to the Musee d' Orsay for a dose of Impressionism, perhaps my favourite style of art. I know you will all be outraged when I do not do the Louvre, but this is my vacation.














At breakfast, I had been talking to this nice family from Tasmania, and they gave me the scoop that the best stuff was on the top floor, so to start there. It was absolutely breathtaking - so much beauty in one place. The Renoirs and Monets were my particular faves. Plus lots of Rodin sculptures.














Back out in the sun, it was Sunday, and all of Paris was enjoying a beautiful afternoon. I just had to be part of it, and was very proud to find a great sandwich shop, where I ordered une bagette avec le poulet special. Also found a grocery store where I grabbed some water and wine. Sat on the banks of the River Seine eating and drinking with my fellow Parisians (I know, I am not a local, but I did feel like one). Many tourists boats passed by, everyone snapping pictures; I know I will be captioned as one of the many locals enjoying a sunny Paris Sunday.














This was exactly the kind of experience I was looking for on this trip. As the caption says, a perfect day in Paris. This is what travel is about.















Hit a fun little bar in the Marais district for a couple of glasses of Bordeaux, trying to converse in my limited French. I sound like I know how to speak it to them, but am unable to carry on a full conversation. Oh well, it's all fun.

It is now Monday, I found this internet cafe near my hostel - lots of great news. My friend Clarence has said yes to my request to join him in Turkey - he has it all planned, so I just need to join him, and enjoy his company.

Also got a response to my request for accomodations in Budapest. I have tried this company called EBAB, that specializes in private accomodation in private homes of gay men. It sounds good, and is only €25 per night, and I get my own room. This might be my first chance to really interact with locals.

It is another sunny September day in Paris, not too hot, so off I go exploring again.














More from Hungary soon. Have some interesting options from there. One possibility is a $93 plane ticket to Corfu in Greece. Would be nice, but how on earth will I get to Istambul from there (without breaking the bank)? Other option, Eastern European chicken buses through Romania and Bulgaria. Why don't you guys vote online. You can comment on all these blogs you know (only Tony has figured that out so far).

1 comment:

catmom said...

Hey ... I'm WAY smarter than Tony ... I didn't leave any comments because I didn't think you wanted people clogging up your blog time!

Said it before, will say it again - thank you for taking the time to update us all with your travel stories - makes me feel just a little closer to you when you are so very far away.

Now to some sister-comments ... please ensure you put some Polysporin on your blisters. Comes in a very small tube so easy to keep with you and very good for any travel injuries, however minor.

Sounds like you are having a great time and really enjoying Paris. Take care and feel the hugs, hugs, and more hugs ... OXOX