Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'm lonely and my feet stink
















Well, according to my book First Trip Around the World, this would happen early on my journey alone. I thought it would be a simple case of "what am I doing?", but it turned out to be more complicated than that.

I have been wandering around Copenhagen only a few hours, enchanted by the architecture, and fascinated by the people on bicycles constantly whizzing by. So I am not interacting with the locals (of course not, idiot, they speak Danish and are busy running their own lives). I don't have lots of new friends. The people at the hostel are not fascinated by my world travel plans.

Should I take a guided tour, tomorrow? Should I check the GAP Adventures website for a guided tour of Europe? Should I email Clarence and see if I can glom onto him like some Aegean squid for his trip though Turkey?

And my feet and sandals..... have I mentioned that in spite of all my scrubbing and disinfecting that they both smell bad all the time? My brother-in-law Glenn can describe the smell with Engineering precision.

Well, one of the simple solutions is to get a new pair of sandals, so I will look tomorrow (Tuesday). Make a list of things to see, and join other travellers and tourists at popular sites.

I think I will adopt a new expression for this trip. Not "problem solved", but "situation improved".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neil -how can you be lonely when you know there's a bunch of avid fans following your 'amazing race' online? (PS: Don't forget Marc S. is in Copenhagen).

Stinky sandals seem an inevitable fate - whether travelling or not. Try to get some that repel moisture as much as possible - or you could revert to (HORROR) socks with sandals!